Saturday, August 1, 2015

Real Good #4: Someone Worth Listening To

There is not a shortage of advisers and everyone seems to have an opinion on how I should do things. If I followed every single peace of advice, I would be in constant conflict with myself and never head in any particular direction. The trouble for me is that most of the people who give me advice are smart and loving. It would be easy if stupid people would give me advice and I could simply cast it off. It would also be easy if people gave me advice because they hated me. In that case, I would at least know what not to do. Can anyone please give me advice on how to listen to advice? If someone did, then by what criteria would I judge that advice? 

I think it would be very enlightening to sit with many of you who read this and hear your stories about good and bad advice. I was once advised to slap my wife when she becomes unreasonable. Being that I am still married, you would be right in thinking that I ignored that little peace of empty headed advice. Perhaps after reading this, you may want to take inventory of the advice that you have followed or ignored. I think that you would discover that advice has had a very direct impact on the place your now find yourself.

As we continue with our series "Real Good", we now see that Christian offer people someone who's advice can be trusted. In fact, His advice should shape and define all of ours. Christians can offer someone worth listening to. The remainder of this post will focus on the idea that it is good to listen to Jesus.

There are several Scriptures that we can draw from concerning this issue, but an observation of Luke 9:28-36 will suffice. The main story here is what is often referred to a "the transformation". As Jesus goes to prayer, He takes with Him Peter, James and John. This is a turning point in the story as told by Luke. Just prior to this account, Luke addresses the question of Jesus' identity as discussed by Jesus and His disciples. They now understand at least a little bit that He is indeed their Messiah. It is now that Jesus must help His disciples clarify the His mission. 

In this prayer session something takes place that catches Jesus' three companions by surprise and as his custom, Peter blurts out non-sense. As they were praying Jesus' appearance is transfigured before them and the glory of God is seen in His face and clothing. Appearing with Jesus are Moses and Elijah. As if this was not startling enough and cloud descends upon them and a voice speaks saying this is My Son, listen to Him.   

Obviously there is much to be discussed concerning this passages, but for our purposes here I wish to point out four reasons why God's command to listen to Jesus is real and good. The Jews listened to Moses as the one through whom God gave them The Law. Elijah represented the prophets that has spoke concerning the arrival of the Messiah. Now as they understood Jesus to be that Messiah, they were instructed to listen to Him.

Here are four reasons that we are to listen to Jesus and why Christian have someone worth listening to. 

1. Jesus is glorified by God.
2. All that God had previously said finds its fulfillment in the mission of Jesus.
3. Our own understanding of the work of God will lead us to faulty conclusions.
4. Jesus is the Son of God.

You may be surprised or a bit let down by my four reasons as to why we are to listen to Jesus. I said nothing concerning ideas such as the advice of Jesus will help you accomplish your goals in life. The mission of Jesus was not and is not to help you with your goals, it was to accomplish the goals of the Father. To understand and be challenged to be a part of His mission, read Hebrews 1:1-4 below.

1 Long ago, at many times and in many ways, God spoke to our fathers by the prophets, 
2 but in these last days he has spoken to us by his Son, whom he appointed the heir of all things, through whom also he created the world. 
3 He is the radiance of the glory of God and the exact imprint of his nature, and he upholds the universe by the word of his power. After making purification for sins, he sat down at the right hand of the Majesty on high, 
4 having become as much superior to angels as the name he has inherited is more excellent than theirs.
  
It is my hope in writing this, that you would be challenged to listen to Jesus because of His powerful mission. His mission is universal and results in our spiritual purity. May we, His church be on this mission knowing that it is based upon the authority of God. May we also be a church that is learning to listen.

No comments:

Post a Comment