Saturday, October 24, 2015

I Am Not: "Athiest Say I am Arrogant"

Text: John 1:19-3
It has been my experience that many non-Christians believe that I am arrogant for believing that faith in Jesus is the only way to be in relationship with God. I have heard it said this way, “Who do you think you are to be telling anyone that they are wrong and you are right?”

Have you ever been asked the question, “Who do you think you are?” Specifically in reference to your actions that you believe are in obedience to God? All of us probably answer yes to this question in one way or another. This is because, as we are obedient to God and His word, people will accuse you of being arrogant, close minded, lost in the past.

We find a similar story in the first chapter of John and it deals with the questions that John the Baptist was asked as he was baptizing in the wilderness.

Read John 1: 19-34

Main Point: We are not who we point to.

1. Know what you are not.
We will confess that we are not God (All powerful/knowing) and that we are not Jesus (The Savior), but we are prone to behave otherwise which reveals what we really think about ourselves.
-       I am not God, but I try and control everything in my life and even attempt to control God wiht 
     religious activities.
-       I am not Jesus, but I will try and save and fix everyone around me, filling myself with undue      
     pressure.
-       I am not worthy to untie Jesus’ shoe, but I will live my life as though I am the center of the     
     universe. 


2. Focus on what you are and what you are supposed to be doing.
John the Baptist’s role was:
- Being a voice crying out in the wilderness
- Making straight the way of the Lord.
- Fulfilling the prophecy of Isaiah.
- His baptism was of water, that Jesus might be revealed to Israel." 

3. Knowing what you’re not, can help you understand what Jesus is.
- "Behold, the Lamb of God, who takes away the sin of the world!” 
- “After me comes a man who ranks before me, because he was before me.”
-  “I have seen and have borne witness that this is the Son of God."

Personal Challenge: Prepare yourself to answer the question, "who do you think you are?"
Claiming to be a Christian will cause others to ask you questions similar to those asked of John.
-       The first step in answering them is to realize and function according to the fact that you are not      
     God, nor are you Jesus
-       You must speak of what you know and be honest about what you don’t know or can’t do.

Corporate Challenge: As Christians we need to be as clear as possible about who we are and what we have to offer our culture.


No comments:

Post a Comment